Summer at FoxHaven (Part 1)
The day after we got home, Jay's first summer term started. For the next four weeks, he will have classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6 until 10 p.m. Add to that the semester-long classwork that is compressed into such a short time and he is half-benched from family life. One week after vacation (and after a night of packing what could have been packed over the course of the prior week), Kit leaves for a Scout high adventure trip to the Nantahala Outdoor Center near Chattanooga, Tennessee. The scouts camped out the first night, went white-water rafting twice, navigated a ropes course, forfeited their rapelling excursion to the heavy storms, and spent an evening in Chattanooga. I would love to post pictures from that trip but Kit's camera apparently never made it out of his backpack. That brings us to Father's Day, which we celebrated by making Jay his favorite dinner - Swiss steak. Kyle and Kinneret each made Jay a tie in Primary and he has worn each one more than once.
Now that Kit is back from Scout camp and has had a couple of days to unpack and put away his gear (yeah, right!), it is time for him to start summer school. Kit chose to take his health credit over the summer and opt out of driver's ed altogether so that he could take a Mythology course as an elective during the school year. He ended up spending 5 hours a day for the next 15 days watching movies and old Facts of Life episodes. Okay, so he did get his CPR certification and some health-related topics were discussed, but it was pretty much a buy-me-an-A course (thankfully he DID eke out an A).
Cordelia turned 3 on June 18th! However, since her birthday was on a Wednesday (Scout night) and Jay had class on Thursday, we had her birthday party on Friday the 20th. She wanted a Dora cake. At least she knew it was Dora on the cake!
At last some quiet time! I think there may have been a couple of weeks where nothing was scheduled. If I remember correctly, those were the weeks I spent walking around with poison ivy dripping from my arm. I have been trying to clean up our side and back yards so that we will be presentable from the street and can play in the back. I seem to be the only person in the family sensitive to poison ivy. I bought knee-high rubber boots to wear and I wear long sleeves when I know I am going to be doing some serious work. However, it was very hot and since I wasn't planning on doing any real work, I skipped the long sleeve shirt. I got distracted by an area I hadn't started on yet, did more work than I intended to, and apparently wrapped my arm up in ivy or something noxious. My arm looked like serious road rash. (No, I didn't take a picture - GROSS!)
1 comment:
Wow! You guys really know how to keep busy! Cordelia looks so cute. And she is getting so big. I love her Dora cake. Mya loves Dora right now too.
I look forward to more posts!!
Post a Comment