When I was growing up, I somehow managed to do what was expected of me without being bribed. The closest thing to bribery that I remember is my mother asking that we make sure the house was in order any time she was involved in a sewing project for us. Never monetary bribes. And I have refused to resort to bribery for 16 years. But no longer. Bribery is my friend.
Last weekend we helped the younger kids clean their room. We rearranged the furniture while we were doing it - not the most aesthetic arrangement, but the kids were excited to make a change. The next morning they straightened their beds after they got up without any prompting from me. So the next morning I reminded them to make their beds, and they did it! They managed to keep their beds made and their room clean for one whole week! So yesterday I paid them each $1. They were tickled pink and every other color of the rainbow. I made them a poster of the things they had to do each day to get a dollar at the end of the week. And they are making sure the list gets done and that I put a checkmark by their names each day!
Yesterday afternoon I went to a movie with some friends and while I was away, Jay started the kids on the playroom. It actually wasn't as messy as it usually is, but it still took some effort. We finished it up after I got home, and I told them they would get money each week if they keep that room clean, too. And it (and the den - Kinneret can really be a great worker when she is motivated) is still clean now - on a Sunday evening when the house is usually at its worst.
I'm all for teaching children about money, and while we were on vacation their grandparents/uncles/aunts generously gave them some spending money of their own, but I have been putting off giving them allowances. Money is a just a fun toy to them and they can't wait to spend it. Kyle lost some of his tooth fairy money when he slipped it into his pocket and took it to school. I must admit here that I have never been consistent with allowances. That requires having cash on hand each week. With Kit, I finally just set up a savings account and put some money in his account at the end of the year. However, the children will now get a weekly allowance. Kit, too, if he can keep his room clean. But while I may have given up and given in on bribing the children to pick up after themselves, I absolutely refuse to pay for good grades.
2 comments:
No worries about paying for grades. It seems Kit thinks good grades are what you find on prime meat and fresh eggs. :^)
Very funny, Jay! My son thinks that too.
We don't call it bribery, we call it "reward for good behavior".
Post a Comment