School Days, School Days

August 7, 2008 was the first day of school. Kyle and Kinneret were very excited, especially since they were going to middle school. Their elementary school building is undergoing some extensive updating and renovating this year and the old middle school campus has been vacant for two years, so the elementary moved into the middle school for the year. Cordelia was a little upset when I dropped her off at daycare. Kyle and Kinneret had explained to her that she wasn't going to Shades Mountain - she was going to Sugar and Spice. She didn't realize what that meant, and she didn't want to go to her class because she was supposed to go to Sugar and Spice! Kit was looking forward to two of his elective classes and when he got home, he said that this year was going to be a breeze. (Writing this two months later, I can let you know that the breeze was so breezy it has continuously blown any thoughts of homework right out of his head!) And to celebrate the first day of school (and finish Kinneret's birthday celebration), we finally made it to Chuck E Cheese's!





A day or two later, there was an article online about Shades Mountain at Berry. The article also had a link to several pictures that were taken on the first day of school. I looked through the photos and guess what I found...




Here are Kyle and Kinneret, one month later. Kyle's class created timelines using pictures. A bonus this year is the use of lockers. Kinneret's class made their own Chicka Chicka Boom Boom trees using the letters of their names. Her tree was just a little more full than the other kids in her class. For those of you who remember that Kyle brought home a note on his first day of kindergarten, you will enjoy hearing that he (as of the date of the open house below) had not brought any notes home from school. Not even after he brought telephones to school. The first time he brought our home cordless handset. Luckily the school is just out of range and also luckily, he took it on the day of the orientation meeting so that I could get it back that evening. A week or so later, he actually got my cell phone out of my purse and took that. I got a phone call from the assistant principal that time letting me know that she was putting it in his school bag. For the most part, though, these two have had a pretty good year so far.



1 comment:

Sant Family said...

Wow. I love what the schools there are doing and the details in this post! Even in the few months I've been reading your blog, I can see that your kids are really growing up fast!