No Particular Place to Go

I remember taking road trips when I was young. We drove cross-country from Minnesota to Seattle to visit grandparents. That is when I learned how to cook hamburgers on the engine. We drove cross-country from Minnesota to Washington, D.C. for a fun and educational vacation. If I remember correctly, that is when my sister threw a shoe out the hotel window because she was angry about something. We drove several times to Ohio to visit family. On one of those trips, we drove our school-bus-turned-into-a-camper and when we went to King's Island in the bus, we got the school discount on parking. I remember the destinations more than the journeys, except that I was told many times to put down the book and look out the window. There were probably also many instances of "Quit Touching Me" and "Stay on Your Own Side," but I think my parents remember those more than I do.

FoxHaven is taking a road trip. We are driving from Birmingham, Alabama to El Paso, Texas to Springfield, Missouri back to Birmingham. We are trying to plan activities along the way to break up the monotony of the road. We will camp in Dallas one night. The children have been begging to go camping and state parks are cheaper than hotels. Kit will get to practice his driving. That should keep us awake. The children each have their own bag of coloring supplies. And there is the DVD player we got at a garage sale three years ago. Even old favorites are fun to watch on a road trip.

2 comments:

Bonny said...

I can't wait to hear about and see pictures of your trip.
Hope you guys are having a good time!
Love you!

Bonny said...

Hey Liesl! I got your comment on my blog. The bows and clips slip out of Mya's hair too - I usally have to fix them 4 or 5 times a day. The ribbon around the clip helps a little. I've also seen people use a small piece of velcro (just the "teeth" side) and they say that helps give the clip something to hold on to - I will give this a try and let you know if it works!
Hope you guys had a nice vacation. I look forward to hearing about it and maybe seeing some pictures!
Love you. :)