R-E-S-P-E-C-T

I'm calm now, 28 hours later, so this can be written as humor rather than rant, or at least I can make that attempt. Last night was Kit's band concert. It was originally scheduled for last Thursday, but the threat of severe weather forced the concert to be postponed to last night. And since the middle school concert was originally scheduled for last night, the high school concert began at 6. That meant that we had to leave the house by 5:30 to get to the school early enough for Kit to warm up with the band. Needless to say, fish sticks and tater tots was the hurry-up-and-eat-it-right-now-or-we'll-be-late dinner. Kyle loves fish sticks and was disappointed that he couldn't sit and eat all he wanted. The kids were excited to go to Kit's concert - or, as it turned out, they were excited at the IDEA of going to Kit's concert. We got to the school and started to go into the theater and Kyle immediately turned around and said, "I don't want to go in there." I had forgotten to put more checks in my checkbook, so I was frustrated that I couldn't pick up the DVD that was compiled from the band's marching season. By the time I was assured that we could pick up the DVD Friday at the now twice-rescheduled band awards ceremony and the kids were forcibly told that they would enjoy the concert, the band booster business was already underway. We found seats near the back, but not on the aisle. The kids had plenty of room to amuse themselves quietly, we thought. After several whispered threats, they did sit sort of still for some time. However, since there were three bands performing (Jazz, Concert and Symphonic), the set changes confused them and they had to be settled down again. Right before the Symphonic band performed, I tried to put Cordelia in her seat AGAIN, but this time she managed to bump up against the unpadded arm rest and her bored and frustrated soul had had it. Some well-meaning individual (can you read between the lines?) told us that the noise was really distracting. THE BAND WAS JUST STARTING TO WARM UP!!! So Jay took Cordelia out, and that meant that Kyle and Kinneret knew that they could certainly be taken out if they tried hard enough. Then Kinneret got her foot caught when the seat folded and some other person came to ask if she could help. Once I assured her that Kinneret's foot was caught and we got it out, she backed off. I tried to get some video on our camera, but Kyle kept putting his hand in front of the lens and then the batteries decided they were worn out. The Symphonic Band performed Night on Bald Mountain for their next-to-last selection, and did a fantastic job. Of course, since the audience gave the band a well-deserved standing ovation, Kyle and Kinneret decided the concert was over and wove their way through the people at the end of the aisle as fast as they could. I let them go and sat through the last piece hoping that Jay was right outside the door to catch them as they left. SO, no joy from our family home evening outing and no video to share of a really cool piece of music from what is most likely Kit's last band concert (he isn't taking band next year). To his credit, when Kyle asked why I was so upset (I guess the silent treatment and the tears clued them in) and I told him I didn't get to hear Kit play at the concert, Kyle asked if I could take him to see Mr. Aycock so that he could ask Mr. Aycock if they could do another concert. He was disappointed when I told him that with only 7 days of school left, there would be no more concerts. The rant is this: YES, the noise was distracting but the band wasn't performing and we were getting it under control AND it was a HIGH SCHOOL band concert put on for FAMILY and FRIENDS, not a competition or a black-tie affair. Younger siblings have a right to attend informal performances, and they may even learn from the experience. GET YOUR PRIORITIES STRAIGHT!!!

1 comment:

Jay said...

I admit to almost losing my temper and wishing to deck the stuffed-shirt, pompous jerkwad who had the gall to offer his smug "advice," and when I did take Cordelia out...and he uttered his facetious "Thank you SO much" I did tell him to "Kiss off!"...which really was a much lighter version of what I really wanted to unload on him.

I got over it alot quicker than Liesl. Although, I did find his hiding from me (I caught him peeking around corners at me) after the concert to be both humorous and gratifying to my manly pride.

You know, I probably wouldn't stoop to violence unless someone got violent with me or my family, but I was prepared to drop my most loquacious verbal scorn upon his fatuous, conceited ego.

I forgive this fool (mostly), but I pity the next unwitting jerk who attempts this. They are in for a world of verbal abuse.